The latest news on what your organization is doing for the troops!
Michigan, August 16, 2012
The Michigan care package pack-out sponsored by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. went great! Organized by Goodyear for SupportOurTroops.Org, it was conducted at the Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn, Michigan as part of Goodyear's Give-Back program, now in his third year with Support Our Troops®.
It was a great opportunity for local troop-support groups to connect. Julie Watrous, now with Operation Cuppa Joe organize it locally and was there to help package the care boxes, something she is well experienced in. And the good folks from Faith Baptist Chapel in Napoleon Michigan which have a very good care package program led by Teri Behnke, participated with over 20 volunteer members. Half of these were adults, and half were high school students. With folks like these America is in for a very bright future!
Goodyear rounded up and shipped pallets of care goods from its partners to SOT for the event including racing magazines, Anacin, Crest toothpaste packets, and Zest bar soap. SOT shipped in 2 pallets of goods donated by Biofreeze, 3 pallets of Trails-End Popcorn, and 1 pallet of Buckyballs donated by Buckyballs. The total value of all of these care goods delivered into Michigan was $173,051.
Support Our Troops also presented a check for $1,345 to pay for the postage, made possible by donations from good Americans all across the country.
Julie prepped all of the address labels and completed all of the customs forms.
Thank-you cards and notes were written and included.
100 USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes were packed, each containing $353 of goods. The United States Post Office was on hand with a vehicle and employees to pick up the care boxes and get them shipped out fast to the troops in Afghanistan.
So between all of us bringing something to the table, the troops are going to have a great surprise from home.
All of these boxes were shipped to deployed Michigan troops serving in Afghanistan on behalf of all Americans. These troops are principally from the 507th EN BN and 1433rd EN CO, both working in some of the most difficult areas in Afghanistan. A moment of silence was held for one of their members recently lost while serving to protect us all.
As part of its care goods grant program, SOT donated all of the remaining pallets of goods to the local Michigan troop-support group to use in their future care packages. This connection will serve the troops well into the future by connecting troop-support groups in the various states. When it comes to the military, state lines don't matter; the troops act on behalf of the entire nation and we're all in it together.
Goodyear recognized this three years ago, and stepped up for the troops in a major way with its Goodyear Gives Back Campaign generating support for the U.S. Armed Forces and their families sacrificing daily to protect Americans' freedom. For three years in a row Goodyear has run this major nationwide campaign promoting support for and awareness of the troops nationwide. This truly effective campaign raises money to do tangible good for the deployed military, and increases public appreciation for America's military.
You can't do better than that.
Way to go Goodyear!
* For every Goodyear tire listed below which is sold at participating U.S. Retailers between July 1 and August 31, 2012 and reported through Point of Sale data to Goodyear, Goodyear will donate $1, up to a maximum of $250,000 to Support Our Troops®.
The following select Goodyear tire purchases count toward Goodyear's donation to Support Our Troops®:
- Assurance® ComforTred® Touring
- Assurance® TripleTredâ"¢ All-Season
- Assurance® CS TripleTredâ"¢ All-Season
- Eagle® F1 All Season
- Eagle® F1 Asymmetric All-Season
- Eagle® F1 Asymmetric 2â"¢
- Eagle F1â"¢ Family
- Eagle® ROF/EMT
- Wrangler MT/R® with Kevlar®
- Wrangler® SilentArmor®
- Wrangler DuraTrac®
- Assurance® Fuel Max®
- Assurance® CS Fuel Max®
- Eagle GT®
- Wrangler SR-A®
The full details are on the Goodyear.com website, and the offer is valid only between July 1 and August 31, 2012.
Support Our Troops® is a 501(c)(3) organization located at P.O. Box 70, Daytona Beach, FL 32115, phone (386) 767-8882, that provides assistance to active duty troops and their families. Support Our Troops® is a registered trademark licensed through SupportOurTroops.org. See Store Associate for complete details.
AKRON, Ohio, July 5, 2012 As a further reflection of its decades of military support, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, exclusive tire supplier of NASCAR's three major national series and NHRA Racing's Top Fuel and Funny Car classes, is honoring and supporting U.S. Armed Forces with the launch of the "Goodyear Gives Back" campaign, a fund-raising effort designed to generate support for the U.S. Armed Forces and their families who make sacrifices to protect Americans' freedom.
What do the troops say about it?
- Afghanistan, 2012- We just received a new unit in our area and I was able to share the treats and toiletries in the care packages with them. I just ran a marathon this past weekend over here in the Biofreeze in the packages was highly appreciated. Again thank you so much for thinking of us! ~~ US soldier (thank-you received via Operation Care Package)
- Afghanistan, 2012- My name is Aaron and I am a Staff Sergeant in the Marine Reserves. I am currently deployed with a small team tasked out with training the Afghan police. My team has been receiving packages from you guys since we got here. What means more to me than any physical item that any person could send is the kindness of complete strangers willing to spend their time any money to help support us out here. You guys back there are my heroes and I hope that one day when our paths cross I could return the favor. My team and I are extremely grateful for every package and every item you send. It's like Christmas every time we convoy to get our mail. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all. ~~ SSgt Aaron (thank-you received via Texas Chapter - USTSF)
These are professional military samples of Biofreeze Maximum Strength Pain Relieving Wipes. Performance Health reports that Biofreeze is alternate pain management, that doctors, therapists and patients are shifting toward topical analgesics like Biofreeze and away from systemic pain relievers because don't affect the gastrointestinal tract, heart, kidneys and other organs. Performance Health points out that Biofreeze is ideal for military use: portable; lightweight; fast-acting maximum strength. So we sent another $620,000 worth over to the troops!
Learn more at Biofreeze.com.
Who did this good deed?
"On behalf of the troops, we thank and commend the great American company Performance Health in Akron, Ohio for their magnanimous patriotic contribution. This gift to the troops comes thanks to the good values of Performance Health and has done a great deal of good for the well-being of front line troops," said Martin C. Boire, Chairman of SupportOurTroops.Org.
Why did Performance Health do it?
Kurt Schlote, himself a Veteran, is Western Region Manager of Performance Health and played a major role in engineering this wonderful gift. "We are fortunate to have SupportOurTroops.Org through which community-minded businesses such as ours can make a big difference in the day-to-day lives of America's service members. I know they'll get it to the deployed troops who need it most. I personally hope any other veteran who is in a position to donate material or money to SupportOurTroops.Org will do so."